A lightly sweet, hearty and warm breakfast will make anyone’s morning bright. Toss in some electric yellow turmeric and superfoods and you’ll have a dish that is both fun yet satisfying. This recipe is dairy-free and made with whole grain oats, an excellent source of fiber and protein.
This recipe was in my recent edition of Health magazine and I had to give it a try given how easy it was and that I had all the ingredients on hand. In less than 5 minutes, you’ll have a creamy, full-fat oatmeal that you can eat all week long.
- 1 15-oz. can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons raw honey, plus more for drizzling (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- Cacao Nibs
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Chia Seeds
Stir together 1 1/4 cups water and all ingredients in a medium pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring once or twice, until liquid has absorbed and oats are creamy, about 5 minutes. When reheating, add a splash of coconut milk/beverage to keep the oatmeal creamy.
Turmeric Health Benefits:
- Increases the antioxidant count in the body. The main reason antioxidants are so beneficial, is that they protect our bodies from free radicals (disease causing agents).
- Turmeric is anti-inflammatory so if you have anyone who suffers from arthritis, Turmeric should be in their diet.
- Has been shown to help treat depression
Cacao Nib Health Benefits:
- Cacao beans, especially when eaten raw, are some of the most rich high-antioxidant foods around thanks to the phytonutrients available in cacao nibs, helping absorb the free radicals that cause damage in the body.
- Cacao nibs are actually the bean after it has been roasted, taken out of its husk and broken into little pieces. It is not chocolate, but rather where the process of making chocolate starts.